The University of Iowa

Graduate and Professional Student Resources


The Division of Sponsored Programs and the Graduate College collaborate to provide expert assistance to graduate and professional students seeking external funding to support research, dissertation, travel, and other scholarly activities. The Graduate College offers information on internal funding opportunities for graduate and professional students. The Graduate Student Senate and  Graduate & Professional Student Government offer travel funds for research and attending professional conferences/meetings.

Services Provided to Departments and Students

A variety of presentations are available to departments for the graduate and professional students participating in the departments'' degree program(s). Students can also access a wide range of services from the Division of Sponsored Programs that are funded through the Graduate College.
Steps to Obtaining External Support -- i.e., Grants, Fellowships

Whether a novice or an experienced proposal-writer, it is critical to learn and master the steps to obtaining external support. These steps are essential for successful submission of proposals while at the University of Iowa.

Graduate Assistants

The Division of Sponsored Programs and Graduate College employs a research assistant, Jennifer Teitle, whose office is 403 Gilmore Hall, who can teach graduate and professional students how to conduct effective funding searches; how to use the available databases; and how to time-manage the funding search and application processes. Additionally, she can review drafts of external funding proposals and workshop with students, as well as guide them through the UIRIS routing form and submission steps. Contact Jennifer for additional information or to make an appointment for individualized assistance, via email or by phone (33)5 3597

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Check to see if all your questions are answered in the FAQs. If not please email with your question.

Other Student Resources

Related Links